We the civil society representatives of the peoples of East Asia and South-East Asia, gathered in Shah Alam , Malaysia on 3-4 November 2010, having discussed and deliberated on the Asian Caravan to Gaza in support of the Palestinian National Liberation struggle hereby declare:
The Palestinian struggle for freedom is the defining & central geopolitical issue of our times & the Palestinian Intifada stands as the vanguard of the international resistance to imperialism and Zionism.
We extend our solidarity to the courageous people of Palestine in their struggle, resistance and intifada against the Zionist Israeli occupation and affirm our commitment to:
- Right of self-determination for the Palestinians;
- Stop the Zionist occupation of Palestine;
- The equation for the rights of all in the historic Palestinian state;
- Right of return intact for Palestinian refugees;
- International boycott against Israel’s policy of Apartheid;
We endorse the Cairo Declaration of 2010; the United Palestinian call of July 2005 for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) to compel Israel to comply with international law; the Palestinian Campaign for Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI); and all other initiatives to end the occupation of Palestine.
Therefore, we urge and a commitment to develop and participate in the movement of the global community to cooperate with the Palestinian people for the independence of Palestine. We will also accelerate the formation of the Palestine Solidarity for Asia Society, in the form of a combination of community organizations, party-political parties, social movements and civil society institutions throughout the Asia community.
Taking a serious view of:
- Israel’s collective punishment sustained by the occupation and the blockade of Gaza;
- Placement / illegal occupation of the West Bank, including East Jeruselam, and the continuing development of the Jewish houses and the construction of separation wall;
- Denying the democratic rights of the Palestinian people as shown by Israel, the United States, Canada, the European Union, and other post-2006 Palestinian elections in Gaza;
- Genocide in the form of a war crime to remove the Palestinians by Israel;
A variety of threats that continue to occur to destroy al-Aqsa mosque and Qubattus Sakhra, as well as the many Christian holy sites as a result of Judaisation on these sites as well as all the historic sites in Palestine without mercy;
* Continuing discrimination and oppression faced by Palestinians who had lived in the territory of Israel;
* Exodus of Palestinians out of millions of Palestinian refugees;
* Zionist ideology which became the basis for Israel and a source of inspiration and legitimacy of the racist and oppressive measures,
We are committed to:
- Building solidarity with the Asian community for Palestinian independence;
- Provide assistance in kind, human resources, and volunteers to support the struggle of the Palestinian people;
- Support and strengthen the boycott of Israeli products in addition to efforts to terminate the financial companies that directly support the occupation and / or the Israel-owned industries;
- The campaign for not working with academic institutions, cultural and sporting events which includes Israel;
- Protest against government decisions and actions that support our country’s own economic, financial, military and diplomatic Israel and the actions and decisions that allow Israel to act arbitrarily;
- Launch a campaign to prosecute and punish the regime of Israel for their various war crimes;
- Reaffirm the UN Resolution 3379 which equates Zionism with Racism, with the support of the international community.
Therefore we demand the Zionist regime of Israel to immediately:
- End the blockade of Gaza;
- End illegal construction by Israel, breaking down barriers and to close the road blocks (check points), which has transformed into a prison of Palestine-while-open of the largest concentration camps in the world
- Respect the sanctity of the sites of Muslims and Christians in the Palestinian territories and stop their evil plans against al-Aqsa mosque and Qubbat-us Sakhra;
- Stop the murder plans against the leaders of the Palestinian state while brutal violence, torture and murder of civil citizens indiscriminately;
- Freeing the men, women and children of Palestinians in prison, which amounts to more than 11,000 people.
We urge our government to:
- Cut off all relations, whether open or secret, with Israel;
- Using international forums including the UN Security Council and the International Criminal Court (ICC) to seek accountability for Israeli crimes against humanity and war crimes;
- Full support of economic, political, diplomatic and military aid to the Palestinian resistance movement against their invaders;
- Support the boycott campaign, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS), which was initiated by Palestinian civil society.
We unite with all peoples’ movements and national resistances, peace loving citizens and democratic states of the world for the establishment of a sovereign, independent and democratic state of Palestine with Jerusalem as the capital.
Mohd Azmi Abdul Hamid
Chairman, “Asian Caravan to Gaza” Conference